D-2: ENTRANCE TO MAJOR AND UPPER DIVISION CAMPUS
Recording and Use of Major Preference Data
- Each student may identify up to three major preferences. Student major preferences are initially collected from the admissions application and recorded in the admissions file in ISIS. At the time the student accepts the University’s admission offer, the student’s recorded major preferences are moved to the Freshman Academic Information file in ISIS. These major preferences can be subsequently modified by the student through the Educational Planning Survey distributed by the Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS).
- Students have the opportunity to further modify their major preferences at any time before entering a major. Major preferences can be changed by informing the student’s academic adviser at advising sessions. Students may also access the eLion Entrance to Major application to modify their major preferences.
- Each college must provide information to all University students and advisers relevant to gaining entrance to the college’s majors.
- Colleges authorized to implement administrative controls on the number of students who may be granted entrance to a major each year must inform students about these controls, the procedures for gaining entrance to a controlled major, and alternative majors as appropriate.
- The major preference data are used to review entrance to all majors, regardless of whether the major is controlled or not. Students generally enter a major after their first year, but before their third year. The specific timing depends on the requirements of the college and major.
Designation of Entrance to Major Pools
- All baccalaureate degree candidates are assigned to a specific entrance to major pool. The pool assignment assumes that, following the time of entrance to major, the student would be ready to enroll in major required courses. The pool designation is normally the spring of the student’s sophomore year.
- Entering freshmen are assigned a pool through automated ISIS procedures at the time of admission or first recorded adviser contact. The college dean assigns the pool designation for advanced standing students entering pre-major status at the time of admission to the college.
- The colleges and DUS are responsible for notifying their students of the pool designation.
- Under exceptional circumstances, the college dean may designate an alternative pool for a student.
- All pool designations are entered or updated on ISIS screen ARUES.
Student Entrance to Majors and Upper Division Campus
The Registrar’s office, on behalf of the college, will notify each student in the designated pool. This notification will:
- Instruct students to confirm their three major preferences.
- Instruct students that changes to their major preferences can be made using eLion, by contacting their adviser, or by contacting their college dean’s office. A deadline for such changes will be specified.
- Inform the student of the upper division campus(es) at which the student’s three preferred majors are offered.
Selection of Students from the Pool
- The Registrar’s office will provide all colleges with Major Decision Reports. The report identifies students requesting the identified major preference. In addition to the report, the Registrar’s office will identify whether or not the students have satisfied the academic requirements for entrance to the major.
- Students shall be reviewed for selection eligibility by the college. Eligibility will be determined on the basis of approved and published criteria.
- The college will assign eligible students requesting non-controlled majors to those majors within the college.
- Entrance to controlled majors is determined according to policy P-4. In accordance with the policy, eligible students with the approved grade-point average are guaranteed entrance to controlled majors. The college will assign remaining students in order of descending cumulative grade-point average until all controlled spaces are assigned.
Notification to Students
- All students in a specific pool are to be notified of their status by the college performing the selection. Notification is to occur prior to the beginning of the registration period for the next fall semester.
- Students selected are to be informed that they have been granted entrance to a specific major and upper-division campus effective the next semester of enrollment. Entrance to major is conditional pending appropriate current semester performance. The status of all students selected into the major is reflected in the ISIS system.
- Notification to ineligible students will include referral to the appropriate advising center.
- The Registrar’s office will provide appropriate support services to all of the colleges.
The Office of the University Registrar will publish an annual Entrance to Major calendar with specific dates and events.
Entrance to Major Outside of This Process
The college dean has the authority to allow a student to enter a major outside of the regular entrance to major process. Such approvals are entered using ISIS screen ARUSAD.
Approved: ACUE (1-8-98)
Revised: Editorial (9-6-01)
Revised: ACUE (10-6-05)
Revised: Editorial (4-22-11)