Undergraduate Education at Penn State Printer friendly version of the Undergraduate Education at Penn State mark.
Topical Index: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Former students and students returning from academic suspension via AAPP I-1 who wish to re-enroll as a degree candidate must complete a re-enrollment request form available at any campus Registrar’s office or on the Web at www.registrar.psu.edu. The completed form and the non-refundable re-enrollment application fee are to be returned to the Registrar’s office at the campus where the student wishes to enroll.

The campus Registrar will forward the request to the appropriate college or DUS for further consideration.

The campus Registrar will record the re-enrollment request and notify the students that their request is being reviewed by the appropriate college or DUS. The review will include an advising conversation that identifies appropriateness of goals, including fit of major and ability to meet entrance requirements. Discussion of these pieces will help students select and formulate realistic and successful academic plans. After the conversation is completed, the college or DUS will notify the students and the Registrar’s office of its decision.

If re-enrollment is denied, then the student is expected to meet with their academic adviser to develop a revised plan for possible submission of another request for re-enrollment or to review other options such as academic renewal. If re-enrollment is approved, then students are expected to meet with their designated academic adviser or appropriate advising center personnel to plan a course of study before registration. Re-enrolled students must also obtain academic information from their college regarding program requirements and future entrance to major.

Following the processes and policies described in AAPP I-1 and N-2, colleges may request the Registrar’s office to automatically place a registration hold after the re-enrollment request has been approved to ensure that proper advising occurs. A registration hold will prevent the student from registering for courses but will not impede the re-enrollment process.

The re-enrollment process allows a student to request a campus other than the campus of last enrollment, provided that the student’s requested major is offered at the requested campus. If the re-enrollment is approved, the new campus location is also approved. All requested changes to the University Park Campus automatically result in a Dean’s review.

A former Penn State student who has attended another accredited college or university must arrange to have a transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. The external transcript will be evaluated and appropriate credits will be added to the Penn State record.

Special accommodations are extended to adult learners. An adult learner does not need to re-enroll if:

  1. The period of non-enrollment has been less than three years, and;
  2. The major has been authorized by the academic college to be eligible for this accommodation. Those programs that have been authorized are on the Web at www.registrar.psu.edu.

If an adult learner satisfies these two conditions but withdrew from the last enrolled semester, re-enrollment is not required, however, the campus registrar must contact the University Registrar’s office so that the registration will be permitted for the student.

If an adult learner is seeking re-enrollment into a different major, the normal rules of re-enrollment apply.

Senate Policy:  58-50, Conditions for Re-enrollment as a Degree Candidate

Undergraduate Advising Handbook: Re-Enrollment Exception for Adult Learners

Approved: ACUI (11-16-78)
Revised: ACUE (7-30-97)
Revised: ACUE (8-4-05)
Revised: ACUE (6-4-15); Effective Fall 2016

Previous Version of AAPP K-1