Student Orientation and Transition Programs (SOTP) facilitates comprehensive learning experiences for Penn State undergraduate students that support a successful academic, social, and personal transition to the University. Our team of full-time staff, undergraduate student leaders, and program volunteers work throughout the year to assist new students, parents, and family members at each stage of their transition to the University. SOTP is operated in partnership with Student Affairs.
Key responsibilities of this office include:
- assist students in their transition from a Commonwealth Campus to University Park campus
- coordinate Link UP, a visit program for students considering a Penn State campus change
- plan, coordinate, and implement New Student Orientation (NSO), a two-day, on-campus summer orientation for new, first-year students and their parents and family members
- provide Transfer Student Orientation (TSO), a program specifically designed for students who have previous experience at another college or university
- collaborate with campus partners to deliver Welcome Week programs, which are composed of activities to help students get to better know Penn State at the start of each semester
- provide leadership for the planning and implementation of the President’s New Student Convocation